Re: AO-40 spin

 "f6agr" writes:

> I carefully analysed the S2 beacon Doppler sine curve  induced by the
> satellite rotation  yesterday 04jan2001 around 09:51 UTC (MA/phase 25).
> Using the powerful zoom functions of CoolEdit 2000 spectral analysis
> software , I got the following values:
> - peak to peak freq shift: 19.0 Hz
> - rotation: 17.86 rpm

No doubt *what* people are seeing in terms of doppler. However I just have
a slight grain of doubt as to whether this actually reflects the *true*
spin rate.

We heard about this trick several years ago and G3RUH tried it out with the
AO-13 signals - yes it worked.

But that was a less cluttered platform. My doubts are along the lines of
"are we seeing direct path doppler (which would be true) or a complexity
of dopplers both direct *and* reflected from other struts, antennas, the
motor bell, etc etc."

I don't have the experience to gauge this. I hope one of the experts will
be able to put me right.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org