Re: Par Omnidirection Ant.

on 1/5/01 8:22 AM, Mike73@aol.com at Mike73@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/4/01 9:54:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jimdiggs@mpinet.net writes:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience with the PAR Electronics Omniangle Antenna
>> for either 10 or 2 meters in satellite work?  How well does the
>> Omniangle compare to a turnstile?
>
> I don't use a PAR, but I do have a KB6KQ 10M loop. It's very similar to the
> PAR except I believe it has more gain. I also have a 10M turnstile.
>
> The loop is excellent from the horizon to ~ 15 degrees elevation. Being an
> omni, there is no need to rotate it. Above 15 degrees I switch to the
> turnstile. One thing about the turnstile in my location was that it lacked
> low elevation receive and also suffered from seasonal ground changes which
> effected it low elevation receive as well. In other words, in the winter with
> snow cover it preformed better. The solution was a ground radial system. I
> now have very consistant receive.
>
> I believe you'll see similar results at 2M from a turnstile or loop.
>
> I have a ton of experience with KB6KQ loops. I use them on the N1MJD/R Rover
> Mobile in the ARRL VHF/UHF contests. We carry versions for 6M thru 432.
> Terrestrially they perform very well. I have also made numerous satellite
> contacts on the FM birds with them, usually before the contest starts. They
> do work, but a simple Arrow antenna would outperform them.

I've used PARs on 6 meters (I have a pair of stacked ones as my 6m antenna)
and on 2 meters and 220 MHz.

The PAR is a great antenna for terrestrial work.  I don't know how it would
work for satellite though.  It's basically a dipole folded around into the
triangle shape to make an omni pattern.  Given that, it has a null overhead.

I think an eggbeater above a ground plane would give better results as that
system raises the pattern and actually makes it CP at higher elevation
angles.

73,

Jon
NA9D