Re: Par Omnidirection Ant.

jimdiggs@mpinet.net writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with the PAR Electronics Omniangle Antenna
>  for either 10 or 2 meters in satellite work?  How well does the
>  Omniangle compare to a turnstile?

I don't use a PAR, but I do have a KB6KQ 10M loop. It's very similar to the
PAR except I believe it has more gain. I also have a 10M turnstile.

The loop is excellent from the horizon to ~ 15 degrees elevation. Being an
omni, there is no need to rotate it. Above 15 degrees I switch to the
turnstile. One thing about the turnstile in my location was that it lacked
low elevation receive and also suffered from seasonal ground changes which
effected it low elevation receive as well. In other words, in the winter with
snow cover it preformed better. The solution was a ground radial system. I
now have very consistant receive.

I believe you'll see similar results at 2M from a turnstile or loop.

I have a ton of experience with KB6KQ loops. I use them on the N1MJD/R Rover
Mobile in the ARRL VHF/UHF contests. We carry versions for 6M thru 432.
Terrestrially they perform very well. I have also made numerous satellite
contacts on the FM birds with them, usually before the contest starts. They
do work, but a simple Arrow antenna would outperform them.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator