Re: European K u band LNB's

John Wright wrote:

> The european  LNB's do indeed use 13/18 volts for polarity, and 22Khz for
> LO switching.
>
> The now standard LNB's use 9.750 Ghz and 10.60 Ghz as the L.O. ( switched
> with 22khz tone ) and the 'official' coverage is 10.750 to 12.7 Ghz.
>
>  From practical experiments, I have found that the coverage extends well
> below the 10.750 Ghz lower frequency, well into the 10 Ghz band. The
> current Sky Digital 18" oval offset dish and LNB can be obtained for as
> little as £40 UK pounds ( about $60 ) when used with an ICOM PCR1000 as a
> tunable IF, it is surprising just how good they are at 10 Ghz.

Hello,

Thanks for the information.  If I remember correctly no tone results in
it using the lower frequency.  I may get a 10 GHz horn and see if pointing
it the dish does anything with a stock US Ku LNB.  I got a feeling a DirecTV
LNB is just too far away to work.

I actually have one of those European LNBs.  They are available in the US
but you need to go to the few TVRO dealers that know what they are and have
some in stock.

It would be neat if Ham commercial microwave stuff was available like the
TVRO stuff.  In the 1980 and before it was Alliance U100 rotators to rotate
the feedhorn between horizontal and vertical polarity.  Now I can just
get a few components, bolt and connect them together, and get a 4/11/12
GHz microwave receiving system that is not too expensive but can pick up
wideband FM video and audio from satellites.

73 Eric eac@shore.net  WB1HBU