RE: Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Howie DeFelice [mailto:hdefelice@petrexintl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 3:24 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

Actually, an equivalent of MS Office called Star Office IS available for
free download for LINUX. It will read and write files in MS Office format as
well, but that is beside the point. Open source does not automatically mean
free. As someone else pointed out, providing a radio with a complete
schematic, parts list and theory of operation (ahhh, remember when!) does
not make the radio free, and experience has shown that opening the design
source and even making kits, will not deter people from spending money to
buy a completed, warranteed product. Not everyone can build their own gear,
not everyone can write programs or even compile source code. open source is
good for everyone except the people trying to get more for something than
it's really worth. ....Wow, could this thread be any MORE off topic?.....

Howie
AB2S

--

Good points, and it is WAY off topic. But I do not agree that a programmer
being compensated for his work, and keeping the profits to himself, equates

- Mark West