RE: Prime Star Dishes etc.

Bruce,

I can't speak for the PrimeStar LNBs, but the DirecTV units are actually
quite similar to analog LNBs.  The input frequency is the band 12.2 to 12.7
GHz.   This band is down converted to 950 to 1450 MHz.  The LO is at 11.25
GHz +/- a couple of MHz.

These units actually have two front ends, one for right hand circular
polarization, one for left.  The DC voltage on the coax powers the unit and
also switches either the left or right downconverted signal to output.  The
switch-over point is about 15 volts...  A DC lower than 15 gets you one
polarization, higher than 15 gets you the other.

If you do the math, you find the image freuqency band is 9.8 to 10.3 GHz ...
pretty close to 10.451 GHz!  The problem is, there is a microstrip band pass
filter which passes only the 12.2 to 12.7 band and provides pretty good
image rejection.  Someone who is very clever might find a way to cut that
filter out and make it work for the 10.4 GHz band.

The reason your IRD can only receive one channel at a time is that it only
has enough processing power to decode the bit stream from one transponder at
a time and generate one analog video and associated audio signals.

73,
Jim AF9A