From: Mark West [mailto:markw@iSecuritas.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 9:31 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

Raymond's
>"The Magic Cauldron", which you can find online at
>
>     http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/
>
>A significant number of talented people I know currently derive comfortable

>incomes from writing Open Source software.  Whether we understand it yet or

>not, it is happening.

Oh please, I know some people are making money writing open soure. But aside
from civil servants, goverment contractors, and university students working
on
a grant (and I would not want to try to live off of any of those salaries)
this
will not last much longer. Most fundamantal of all is that humans need a
motive
to take an action. One motive is the desire to eat, which leads to the need
acquire food, yada, yada, yada, so you got to work each day. The commercial
entities that were *making* money in supporting open source were doing so in
the stock market, and that is over now.