Re: Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:19:22PM -0600, Mark West wrote:
> p.s. Don't tell me he/she can make money as a tech support person,
> or by assembling free code onto a CD. I am quite un-interested in
> those *careers*.

Simple, work for a company which pays you to develop open source software.
Quite a few of the developers of Debian GNU/Linux have this sort
of job, with companies like VA Research, Progeny Linux, Linuxcare etc.

How do those companies make money out of open source? Well, Progeny
is working on a Debian-based Linux distribution, which they presumably
intend to sell like Red Hat, SuSE etc. VA sells PCs with Linux
preloaded. Linuxcare does Linux support.

Hamish