Re: Grid Rules

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary "Joe" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 2:13 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Grid Rules

 > I was doing a little planning for 2001 and had a question about grid square
 > rules.
 >
 > 1.  I am under the impression I can locate in a corner where 4 grid squares
 > meet and provide all 4 grids with each contact.  Is this correct?

    No it most certainly is not correct. You cannot be in more than one place at the same time and no one place is defined as being here and there (except in the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle, but that is neither here nor there).

 > 2.  How close do I need to be to the corner?  Within 100 feet? 100 yards? 10
 > feet?

          However close you are to the border between two squares, you are always in either one or the other.

 > 3.  What has to be located on or near the corner?  Me?  My antenna?  My
 > transmitter?  (Can't put all of those in exactly the same place!)

        ( Oh yes you can, if the "place" is not a point but a finite area such as a grid square. )

[Speculation follows:]

          Ah! This might be more interesting. You certainly could have the operating position in one square, the antenna in another, the transmitter in a third and the receiver in a fourth square. I do not know what the specific rules are for "square awards" but I would speculate that you would be technically ineligible for all of the squares because the whole station is not in a clearly identifiable square. My reasoning for this is that if you extended the concept, one could activate rare DX entities by remote control, like dropping a package on Blue Sky Reef with a Globalstar(R) telephone link operating the "dxspedition" from the Plaza lobby in New York. Not quite playing ball.

 > Thanks,

    Maybe not what you bargained for, but could not resist this one. Take care, 73 es GD DX.

 > Joe
 > ka0yos@amsat.org
 >
 > Hoping to put EN 04, 05, 14, 15 on in 2001.
 > ----
     A good thing;  but one at a time.

Pesa

Gabriel Pesarini, IKØHIT