RE: Software platforms [was:UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software]

> Perhaps because there's an even easier way that requires no
> development work at all. Just put Linux on an old computer, plug it
> into your home Ethernet and stick it in the closet.  Then use it over
> the net from your Windows network aps.

Quite true.  :)  I've setup my networkm that way  And you don't need a
monitor, keyboard or anything, once it's all running, run the box remotely.
:)

> That assumes you still want Windows as your primary desktop
> environment.  Because I strongly prefer Linux for all of the reasons
> already given, I just let my main desktop machine perform all my
> network support functions. It's my SMTP receiver, my outgoing SMTP
> relay, my personal web server/IP router/firewall, etc. And all the
> software for these functions under Linux is free and open, unlike the
> overpriced and inflexible "solutions" you find in expensive
> shrink-wrapped boxes at the local computer store.

I use the Linux box for network support as well.  The NT box is basically my
"front end", and from time to time hosts services that haven't yet made it
to Linux (like those audio streams).  The Linux box is a very flexible
router, to the point of dynamically configuring parameters such as routing
and IP masquerading settings, depending on what the IP address on the remote
end of its PPP link is! This allows me to seamlessly switch between the
normal Internet connection and a direct dialin to work, and know everything
will work (including those pesky and inflexible Windows boxes :) ).

> I do keep Windows on a second machine to run the few important
> applications that aren't yet available for Linux, such as Quicken or
> the latest gimmick-laden proprietary streaming-video-codec-du-jour.
> It uses my main Linux system for all network services.

I run Windows for this reason as well.

> VMWare's only real drawback is its significant emulation overhead, as
> the Intel x86 architecture wasn't designed to be completely
> virtualizable. If you have a slow machine, forget about VMWare.  But
> on a reasonably fast machine (400-600 MHz Pentium II/III) it's
> reasonably acceptable for most of the Windows applications that my
> work forces me to run (e.g., Microsoft Office).

I haven't yet got a machine fast enough for this, but I did tinker with a
Linux system inside a VM, which was useful at times for adding some funky
funtions to NT, and even testing some of those Windows based NAT routers
(Winroute, etc) and the like (not as flexible as IP masq :) )...