RE: Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

> This is not suprising, Linux is a monolithic kernal.
> Everything is does must
> be
> built into one great executable. While this makes for a fast
> kernal that
> does not
> need to resolve external modules, it does greatly limit its
> flexibility.

Hmm, Linux has been modular for quite some time now (several years).  You
_can_ build it as a monolitic kernel, or you can build it as a completely
modular system.  Most distributions nowadays supply a modular kernel, but
it's up to the end user to  change that, if they so wish (though the
majority of today's Linux users don't bother).

> Adding
> functionality and hardare support is not as simple as
> installing a new Dll.

It can be, just add a new module and load it.  That is over simplifying a
bit, but some vendors now supply loadable modules for their hardware.

> avilable for Windows are so vastly superior to those
> available for anything
> else
> that it just makes economic sense to develop there. And yes,
> I am familiar
> with
> the alternatives.

I think it makes sense to develop for Windows because that's probably what
most hams have.  I suspect Linux has a good following in the ham community
as well, as it's cheap, runs of that old "second PC" that's been relegated
(promoted? :) ) to the shack, and supports the "tinker factor" that a lot of
hams like. :-)  So ultimately, both platforms should be supported in the
long term.  Where communications between machines is part of the application
being developed, the standard should be open, so developers can write tools
for their platform of choice.