Re: AO-40 MA, ALON/ALAT and squint angle ??

Hi Chris,
thank you very much for the good wishes and your prompt answer.
What I wanted to say (with: ALON/ALAT are time dependend), is the following:
As you wrote, the z-axis of a spin stabilized satellite is always pointing
to a fix point in space (the A point), independend from time and independent
from the satellites position in the orbit and also independent from
changings of the orbit plane itself.  (unless the satellite is forced to
change its attitude). This (absolute) point can be determined by the
coordinate system of the sky (sky equator, sky pole), which is a fix system
in space. On the other hand, AON/ALAT relate to the coordinate system of the
satellites orbit plane (where longitude 0 is always in the perigee,
longitude 180 always in the apogee etc.). This system is not fix in space,
however.  The perigee of the momentary orbit ellipse of AO-40  in the space
(RefPerigee) moves about 0.4 deg/day,  RAAN about  -0.20 deg/day. This can
(and needs to) be calculated by the tracking programs on the base of the
Keplerian data.

This dayly changings are not very big, but they add up. As I wrote before:
When I altered the reference day of ALON/ALAT 260/2 by 28 days (from Dec.1st
to Dec. 28th 2000) the results for the squint angel calculated with the same
Keplerian data and for the same time (January 1st, 2001, 12.00.00  UTC)
changed  from 95° to 90° for my location.

So,  if you want to calculate the A point as a fix point in space by given
ALON/ALAT, you need to know the day, to which these values refer. It goes
without saying, that the A point has an influence on the squint angle
calculations.

This all (the mathematic formulas inclusive) is described by Dr.Gerd
Zickwolff,  DL1TV (he died 2 years ago), in the AMSAT DL Journal 3/1990. He
calculates the A point on the base of given ALON/ALAT and given day and on
the base of the actual Keplerian data and transfers its coordinates  into
the unchanging (absolute) coordinate system of the sky. From there the
actual values of ALON/ALAT can be recalculated for any actual time.
 He clearly says, that the day, to which ALON/ALAT refer, must be known. (He
also suggested, that the sources should  not only tell ALON/ALAT as
coordinates of the orbit plane, but also the absolute coordinates of the A
point, to simplify squint calculations.)

Vy 73s, Erich, DK1TB
www.dk1tb.de