Re: Re: Phase 4 satellite(s)?

Phil,

How does AMSAT or any other organization developing say a mode LS TDMA satellite help result in lower ground station cost?  How does anything that AMSAT does divert resources from those making the ground station hardware?  I have a difficult time seeing the connection between donations to AMSAT and the products that DEM, SSB, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, et all manufacture.

Or is your idea that not only should AMSAT or whomever develop the satellite but also the ground station equipment as well?  In that case I see a direct connection.  If AMSAT has say, 1 million dollars to spend, then it can spend that entire one million on a bird with legacy modes or it can spend $750,000 on digital only and use the other $250,000 to design ground station hardware that it can then sell to the individual users or OEMs in the form of kits, etc.  Is that what you mean?

73,

Jon
NA9D

karn@ka9q.net wrote:

Anyway, I feel strongly that the design and low-cost manufacture of
the required ground stations is an essential element of any advanced
amateur LEO constellation. Putting a "legacy" mode on the satellites
could certainly be done, but that would constrain the system design,
increase the cost, size, complexity and mass of the satellites and
divert resources from making the new ground station hardware as widely
available as possible.

Phil