RE: Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

-----Original Message-----
From: tlang@freeway.apana.org.au [mailto:tlang@freeway.apana.org.au]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:57 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

>Well, I _do_ run packet on a 486/66!  That's 1200 bps via the soundcard.
So
>far, not a dropped packet in the box, runs surprisingly smoothly. :-)
>
>Now, the Windows box battles to do it on a P233 (the linux system actually
eats
>it for breakfast on packet).

This is not suprising, Linux is a monolithic kernal. Everything is does must
be
built into one great executable. While this makes for a fast kernal that
does not
need to resolve external modules, it does greatly limit its flexibility.
Adding
functionality and hardare support is not as simple as installing a new Dll.
Windows would not be so popular if one needed to recompile the OS everytime
the TCP/IP stack needed an update.

When I went to school we learned that hardware (cycles) was more expensive
than a
programmer's time, that thinking is not accurate anymore. The development
tools
avilable for Windows are so vastly superior to those available for anything
else
that it just makes economic sense to develop there. And yes, I am familiar
with
the alternatives.

- Mark West