Re: Phase 4 satellite(s)?

 >What Phil Karn has been saying makes sense except for the fact that everyone
 >must buy new equipment immediately. A hybrid approach that supports existing
 >equipment might actually work. It's interesting that he hasn't commented on
 >my email.

I haven't commented because I caught whatever bug has been going around
and fell behind on email.

Anyway, I feel strongly that the design and low-cost manufacture of
the required ground stations is an essential element of any advanced
amateur LEO constellation. Putting a "legacy" mode on the satellites
could certainly be done, but that would constrain the system design,
increase the cost, size, complexity and mass of the satellites and
divert resources from making the new ground station hardware as widely
available as possible.

Phil