Re: MMDS converters

I'm sure that he is reputable.  I don't understand why so many people
thought I said he wasn't.  I said "it looks like vapor", and so far
it still does.  But I know everyone got what they payed for from him
when they got their 2880's.  Hey, if the converters come back, *I'll* buy
one from him.  Even if it is just for a spare.

My real point is that it looks like the MMDS industry is going to all
integrated units, and away from analog TV to digital Internet and digital
TV, and these units will become less and less suited for ham use.  Also MMDS
seems more popular outside the US.. there aren't really too many "wireless
cable" systems in the US.  Of course the oscillator stability and phase
noise characteristics will have to be better for digital modems, so maybe I
contridict myself.

The good news, is that WLAN and MMDS parts (IC's) are getting *dirt* cheap,
and maybe we can start building good quality PLL locked 2.4GHz
downconverters ourselves for <$100.  I'd love it if I could build a
feed and converter in one package for my 18" DSS dishes and actually
have it work on AO-40.  It is premature to be able to think this
could be designed for commercial sale yet.. but it isn't premature
to start *thinking* about it.

Fred W0FMS