Re: AO-40 MA, ALON/ALAT and squint angle ??

Hi Erich,

Happy New Year to you too!  Hope 2001 is full of exciting things (like lots
of Amateur Radio fun via AO-40, etc!)

I think you need to distinguish between ALON/ALAT, and squint angle.  They
are two separate issues, although squint angle is partly dependent upon
what the ALON/ALAT is.

For a satellite which is spinning sufficiently fast, the ALON / ALAT will
_not_ change on a day to day basis...  it will remain fixed.  The
satellite's attitude can only change as the result of applied forces,
either deliberately induced (eg magnetorqueing at perigee), or unwanted
external forces (eg asymmetrical drag from the very upper atmosphere, etc).

I do agree with you, however, that for an earth-based observer, squint
angle changes on an orbit-by-orbit basis.

73,

Chris vk6kch

At 20:05 01/01/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>thank you very much for your very clear explanation of ALON/ALAT and squint
>angle
>in the AMSAT BB. I think, there is one aspect that should be mentioned:
>Since ALON/ALAT are time dependent, it is of some importance to know to what
>time the given values of ALON and ALAT refer. The time is not very critical,
>but one should know the day at least. Unfortunately most times the time is
>not mentioned in the sources.
>
>As a test I have calculated (with my own program SatPC32) the Squintangels
>of AO-40 with AON/ALAT 260/2 1.) as given at  Dec.1st and  2.) as given at
>Dec. 28th 2000. With these different times the squint angles differ about 5
>deg.
>Please excuse my bad English.
>
>Best wishes for then New Year.
>
>Vy 73s, Erich, DK1TB.

 |  Chris Hill               mailto:chris.hill@crhtelnet.com.au |
 |  CRH Telnet Pty Ltd                       A.C.N. 008 922 530 |
 |  Phone  : +61 8 9310 3066              Fax : +61 8 9310 1117 |
 |  Postal : PO Box 557 Willetton WA 6155 Australia             |