Re: MMDS converters and 2.4ghz projects

Hey.. thanks.. I ordered four of those cool hairpin filters.

I wonder about PLL sources.  The latest issue of EE Times has an ad
for the Maxim MAX2751-- 2120 to 2260 MHz VCO (eight pin surface mount
device), runs on +5V. Its too new to have data online apparently, though.

I imagine it could provide a small, simple and cheap (the VCO is $3.55 from
Arrow) device to make a 2256 MHz PLL.  With a single frequency lock, and a
"slow" loop filter I imagine a PLL can be devised that was more than
suitable (phase noise) for SSB.

Interestingly enough I have a couple of the San Diego Microwave Group 2.4
GHz Qualcomm PLL's. (Like the old 73 article) One I never got working, the
other I never tried to get working.  Maybe I can cobble something up.  I
have the old DEMI Mode-S converter, but I've never been to terribly
impressed with it.

The old DEMI preamp worked fine at CSVHF in Winnipeg this year-- 0.64 dBNF
with 12.5 dB of gain.  So I should be getting close to having a
good Mode-S receiver.

Fred W0FMS