Re: CP v Linear polarisation

Hi All,

I should also back up one step from my previous post on this subject.  It
was not my intent to "mean mouth" CP.  My intent, like Bill's, was to
encourage those just getting started to go ahead and jump in, even with a
horizontal or vertical beam.  CP is, of course, the best way to go if you
can switch RHCP/LHCP.  If you can't switch then I'm not sure you would be
able to tell the difference between a RHCP antenna and a strictly linear
antenna.  Bottom line is that being able to switch polarization is the
most important factor.  If you are a home brew guy (or gal) it is much
easier to make a  system to switch from horizontal to vertical than to
make a RHCP/LHCP system.  But even if you have only one horizontal (or
vertical) antenna don't let that stop you.  Jump right in.  When I
started on FO-20 I had one 8 element quagi on 435 fixed in elevation at
about 20 degrees.  I worked passes up to about 45 degrees elevation with
no problem.  When it went above that or the polarity faded I just waited
for the signal to return and I was happy as a lark to be able to do that!
 So those of you who haven't gotten on the satellites yet - go for it.
There is plenty of time to build on what you have later.  Put what you
have now to use.  You can have real QSO's a with horizontal (or vertical)
beam fixed in elevation at the horizon, even on AO-10.  I have worked
Larry, K1LO, from his mobile setup through FO-29 and AO-10.  Operating on
these satellites is not "rocket science".  It really is easy.

Happy New Year,

73 de Jess - W4MVB