Re: MMDS converters

Actually my intent was not to bash "Mr. Skycable" in the first post.

It just seems that the "MMDS Downconverter Surplus Fest" is well over
with.  So it looks that you guys got a great deal who got a Drake, and I
should have still been on the AMSAT-BB during that timeframe, but I wasn't.
I heard about it about 2-3 months after supplies dried up.

Stand alone converters don't seem to be made anymore.  The manufacturers
like Conifer/Cal Amp make "LNBYs" and "Dipole Feed Converters" only now.
Makes sense for TV.. cheaper and less loss
before the converter.  It isn't readily apparent how to get these
new devices.  I don't think they want to sell to individuals to keep
piracy down.  Other point I found is that you do not want "radar filters" or
"combline filters" as they will filter out 2400 MHz.  Also apparently the
synths/phase noise of the LO matters so on an unknown MMDS converter-- it
simply may not work.  Ok for $35-50 I'd take the chance.. but not for $130.

Anyway, I suspect that the rest of us will have to send $$$ to Mr. Kostro
and be happy with that.  Or to SSB or to Kuhne...

Fred W0FMS