Re: UO-2 Telemetry Decoder Software

Laura Halliday writes -

> Sound card access under other operating systems is easy.
> Under Linux (and other OSs with similar sound drivers)
> you open() the device (usually /dev/dsp), use ioctl() to
> configure it (sample rate, sample size, etc.), use read()
> to get the samples, and then have your way with them.

I'm just starting with Linux, and will have a look at using it for
decoding UO-11, if I ever get round to trying some programming!

However as Margaret K3XS indicated, a Linux program, however good and
easy to write won't be of much use to the majority who use Win9x. My
original intention was to develop a DOS program, but even that
wouldn't meet the needs of those who only use Win9x.

IIRC the DOS device drivers are fine for playing & recording WAV &
MIDI files etc. but don't include low level operations, such as
reading the incoming data by the bit or byte. Does using the Linux
drivers get round this problem?

The DOS source program that I have gets round this problem by
addressing the sound card directly.  However I note that it is for
the SoundBlaster 16 card, and wonder how compatible it would be with
other cards, and the mother boards with built-in sound processing.

I would be most interested in any further comments.

Best wishes for a happy New Year to all on this list.

         Clive    G3CWV

         Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.