Re: PTC thermistor question

At 10:21 AM 12/29/00 -0600, you wrote:

>On a similar topic, can anybody report the "real world" temperature
stability of the LO in the DEM and SSB 2400 MHz down converters?

Hi Wayne and all,
QST reviewed the DEM and SSB 2.4G downconverters in
the Feb 1994 issue. If you are an ARRL member, you can download
the review from www.arrl.org.

Neither unit uses a TCXO and the temperature stability was
quite poor for both units, (10's of KHz.) I would not use
either one outdoors without stablizing it.

While I'm at it, the DEM432 kit has a problem with the oscillator
as well. The design does not compensate for the xtal holder
capacitance and so the oscillator cannot be tuned exactly
on-frequency without a mod. Other than that though, its performance
is excellent.

Happy New Year!
Tony

Tony AA2TX@amsat.org