Whats the best way to get on Mode L with FT847?

Decision time - While I really like the 847 I want to
add Mode L capability to the shack.  Perhaps
someone can help.

First do I need a full transverter or just a transmit

Is 10 watts in the shack with hardline to a 12 turn helix
gonna do it on AO-40?

What equipment are most people using to get
on Mode L?

After it is all done - would the new rigs with the
1.2 module be a better way to go?

Thanks for any comments or links to 1.2 info

Jeff Kelly