Drake 2880 Downconverter

I have a question for those of you who have already converted the Drake.
I have one that I have not converted yet but have (most of) the info for
converting it.

I would like to know if it is possible to make the downconversion to 420 Mhz
by substituting another crystal.  I have no info on the oscillator
circuitry in the downconverter and do not know its limitations. Could a
7.??? Mhz xtl be used.
While I am experimenting I, also, am giving thought to driving that circuit
with a DDS source allowing me to move the frequency at will.

Just ideas that I would like comments (pro and con)  on and any suggestions
from those who have made the conversion.

thanks
Bill K0QK