Re: AO-40 Hi Gain Antenna covers?

In a message dated 12/29/00 9:11:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan@pilot.msu.edu writes:

<< Are they part of the antenna design or just covers? Just curious and eager
 to learn :-)

 Thanks for the input.

 73... Stefan

>From what I understand the cream colored covers are just that, covers.  They
are made of a very high quality RF approved material and used on AO-40 for
thermal protection to keep sun light reflected by the dishes and horns from
focusing light
energy and burning up the dish feed elements and some part of the horns.
Stan Wood - WA4NFY was the antenna man on the project and could probably tell
you everything you ever wanted to know about them.  I've included this and
many of the other subtle details of the bird on the model kit of AO-40
available through AMSAT-NA, AMSAT-DL and AMSAT-UK.  Like you, I'm curious
about all the parts of the bird and like to know what they do.  Have fun.

73, Steve
K5PK