TEST SIGNAL / Tracking report / website updated / < AO40 there yesterday and gone today> < sound files added>

I have several unrelated items then a comment on the AOR.......
On 12 27 00 I tracked AO40 on S band several hours until I got bored with
it.
The data would print better at first then slowly worse and worse. About mid
pass I stopped to
try to fix my converter so it wouldnt flex on the connecter(causing more
freq drift) and thermally
insulated it to slow drift. Back to the satellite. Basically I could track
it ALL day from the pattern it has
off the side or back of the satellite, but at some angles the spin mod is
more than 6 db, and at a rotation
rate of 7.3 rpm which I measure by switching to FM demod and listen to the
fade pattern.
The web page has pretty much all of this on it.
http://members.home.com/nn0v/nn0v.html was updated today.
To sum it up you will need ant gain of at least 25 dbi to get some fm
quieting on it at all, and the 35 dbi/50'K setup I am running can hold FM
quieting till it gets totally offpointed and 60,000 KM away. Even then
it gets a couple of peaks with some quieting, and I could always detect it
with SSB, and I did try
with an R3 (FM ONLY)and a 17db horn with no way that would work here. Its
about 15 db shy of FM detection.  Maybe with SSB it might be detectable.

-------------------Jens try this signal its there all the time you are in
footprint--------------------
***********  2237.530 cw carrier *****************

The AO40 carrier was about as strong as TDRSS4 at 41 west at 2237.530. My
freqs might be off +- 3KHz
because I havent tuned up all the radios I use to pick this up. By the way
that is a handy test frq as it
is always there and is discrete carrier instead of spread spectrum that
appears elsewhere on that satellite.
I dont really bother anyone else I just sit here and track these thing for
awhile, analize my results, then later
make a post about it, save up the info,  why bother with a one line
post......store up the info is what I do.
Which brings me to a suggestion and a question, I was unable to track the
sat during the lasst part of
yesterdays pass and there wasnt any carrier there today. and yes I checked
all my commercial downlinks
for normal signal, such as that TDRSS, which makes an excellent ref signal.
That thing is about as strong as
the AO40 is when its off the side, maybe 70-90 offpointed.
My question is Where was it today? Gliched off the air again or perhaps some
commanding from
somewhere gone bad? Checked for carrier several times throughout todays
pass, pretty much identical to
yesterdays pass where it was heard.

Hey I would like to hear about the 40 foot dish thing and how that worked,
except I dont think its
transmitting right now, so try that TDRSS signal, if you can tune there. I
make it my policy to be able to
tune nearly anywhere I please. The ham bands arent the only thing out there
worth listening to....
(Ham/scanner buff crossbreed I guess)