Re: Crystal Ovens

I can second this motion!.. I use these in many of my downconverters
including the old DEM Mode-S (which I still am not conclusively sure if it
is working).

Even though they are spec'd at 9V.. I run them at 13.8V no problem.  Their
resistance goes up with temperature, so they self heat until
they hit a steady state.  Not sure if running them at 13.8V makes them run a
degree or too hotter... but it really doesn't matter as they run
hotter than the hottest day in Iowa anyway!! :-)

They DO draw a couple of amps of current at start up but idle at maybe
100 mA max at steady state.  Stuffing the downconverter with fiberglass
insulation helps a bit from the wind cooling things down too rapidly.  Never
noticed much of a performance differance with the "fiberglass dielectric"
near the no tune filters.  I'm sure styrofoam
would work as well if you are a purist.

I got my PTC thermistors at DigiKey.. they are about $1.50 a piece if I
remember correctly.

Fred W0FMS