Re: Another view

on 12/28/00 9:18 PM, Gary "Joe" Mayfield at gary_mayfield@hotmail.com wrote:

> I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.  Might as well hook your two
> meter handheld up to an I-Phone connection.

Well, we do that here in Chicago on the N9EP repeater on 442.8 MHz.  Well,
the repeater is down right now since the antenna got hit by lightning in
September, but it will be back up soon.

Anyhow, we have had QSOs with people in Japan, the UK, Australia, Hawaii and
many other states and countries all via an I-phone link.  We've even linked
repeaters in the UK and the N9EP machine.  Also done it with California
machines and Rochester, NY, etc.  It's all pretty cool.

Sure the QSOs don't count for anything, but I tell you what, I've had fun
with it and so have most of the folks on the repeater.

I realized it was no big deal to do that and it wasn't against the "spirit"
of ham radio.  What made me come to terms of it was realizing that one of
the "big" machines in Chicago has a receive site permanently linked by
telephone instead of RF.  This is because of building obstructions between
the RX site and them main site.  So if a repeater can link RX sites with
telephone lines why can't we link people and repeaters and now even
satellites over the internet?

Sure, I prefer a complete RF path if at all possible, but sometimes, you
gotta make do with what you can.

73,

Jon
NA9D