Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions and the Concordski

I do not wish to belabour this thread on the BB.  But...

There is a lot of speculation about this incident and it was never confirmed
that the Mirage pilot is responsible for the accident.

The Concorde had first slot to do its show and was very impressive.  The
Concordski was next with Russia's foremost test pilot in the cockpit.  He
took off from the runway in front of the spectators and immediately banked
very steeply to the left (away from the spectators), as well as climbing too
steep.  The gas turbines flamed out and the pilot put the aircraft into an
unusually steep dive.  The speculation is that he wanted to gain some speed
to give him time to restart the engines.  Sadly, he was much too close to
the ground for any action to succeed.

The Russian authorities would not allow anyone near the crash scene and
could not explain the pilot's behaviour.  One can only conclude that he
wanted to "out perform" the previous show, as the Concord pilot did a
similar spectacular climbing manoeuvre.  Later, it came to light that a
Mirage was in the air and that is when the Russians tried to blame the
accident on the French.  That is how the secret photograph story emerged.
However, the Concordski was on the ground prior to the flight and anybody
with a long lens could have photographed it.

Perhaps the French were photographing the Concordski, but the air traffic
radar showed that all was well.  I saw this air show accident on video and
the Mirage was nowhere in sight.  The accident investigators reported
possible pilot error.

Deon ZR1DQ
Bouvet Island is on the air with callsign 3Y0C
View the latest details at www.qsl.net/zr1dq