Re: Question about 13 cm. converter

Hello Bill,

Sounds reasonable to me.

2400.0 Mhz downconverted to 144.0 Mhz, then
144.0 Mhz downconverted to 28.0 Mhz.

excess gain may be a problem and may severely limit dynamic range.
Excess gain can be adjusted down in the 2400 to 144 stage,
padded with attenuation between the 2 downconverters, and/or
adjust gain inside of the 144 to 28 downconverter.

Keep in mind that the only purpose of gain is to overcome the
noise figure of downstream stages. In other word, minimize
the gains until overall system noise figure is slightly degraded.

Another "gotcha" may be the LO frequency accuracies.
Make sure you know that each stage is working as expected.

Stan, WA1ECF   LM-496