Re: now this could be a new way to raise funds..

> Encounter 2001 also allows people to transmit personal messages out to the
> cosmos. The company's Ad Astra service, priced at $299, features the
> transmission of a personal digital message, which can include photographs,
> biographies, and tributes.
>  They claimed to have sent 40000 messages so far.. How about getting one
of
> you EME guys with a 16 antenna array to fire off some messages.. All
> proceeds go to AMSAT.. do it for say 50 bucks a pop.

Nice idea, but illegal and would lead to a host of problems. Last year,
SWATCH tried to hijack an Amateur built satellite to transmit commercial
messages from space using RS-19/Sputnik-99, in cooperation with two [former,
I think] employees of the Russian Space Flight Command Centre operating
"under the table". It was not only illegal by US regulation but also the ITU
itself said the operation would be illegal. Rob Carlson, KC2AEI brought this
operation to my attention. Many of us - especially Rob and myself for two
hams - tried to work directly with SWATCH and their P.R. agency to help them
understand their regulatory violations and to suggest alternatives that
could accomplish their marketing goals in a legal manner. We also ended up
spending a lot of time talking to members of the press who called us. The
situation was eventually resolved when the astronaut on Mir launched the
RS-19 satellite - with the power switch turned off.

This turned out to be a massive PR disaster by SWATCH - and entirely of
their own doing. SWATCH refused - for a long time - to acknowledge they were
breaking the law. Eventually the Swiss Telecom authorities got through to
them. SWATCH then said the satellite batteries were donated to "Save Mir".
The press then reported that SWATCH lied about that too. This was covered by
MSNBC, BBC, Wired, Times of London and others, including Internet-only
magazines.

I have included below the "text" from the Library section of my
http://hamradio-online.com web site. You can find this by going to the web
site, clicking on Library, and then clicking on April 1999. The original
text is all hyperlinked, including the press coverage that was presented all
over the world.  As you can see below, SWATCH was panned worldwide.

As for me, I will never own a SWATCH product and no one in my family will
either. I strongly recommend that no amateur radio operator ever purchase a
product from SWATCH.

You can read an epilogue of the story at
http://www.epistolary.org/rob/swatch-protest/
Links to more media coverage of the event at
http://www.epistolary.org/rob/swatch-protest/media.shtml

Ed, KF7VY
Spokane, WA
http://hamradio-online.com

--- From http://hamradio-online.com ----- April 1999
To advertise a new brand of watches, SWATCH planned to take over the Amateur
built RS-19 (Sputnik-99) satellite and use it to broadcast text and voice
messages to space using the 145.80 to 146.00 MHz band. Due to an outpouring
of complaints over this questionable satellite broadcast operation, SWATCH
cancelled the proposed program and spun a story that SWATCH had donated
"their" satellite's batteries to "save Mir" from a communications problem.
SWATCH, apparently, never owned the satellite and the batteries were not
their's to donate. According to the French astronaut onboard Mir who
launched RS-19, he intentionally launched RS-19 with the power turned off to
avoid the illegal operation. SWATCH, meanwhile, placed a public relations
spin on this story throughout the process, often making statements that were
shown to not be true.
June 14: Internet magazine Suck covers the story in "Big Hand On One"
May 1: ITU Indicates Proposed SWATCH Operation Would Have Been Illegal
April 18: AMSAT France Press Release advising that the spacecraft was
launched by French astronaut Jean-Pierre Haigneré, FX0STV, with the
satellite switched off, as the satellite was carrying advertisements that
did not comply with amateur regulations.
April 17: SWATCH "Saves" Mir? asks Wired News
April 16: According to the S.J. Mercury News, " In the final part of the
space walk, a small satellite made by Russian and French schoolchildren was
put into space. If all goes well, the satellite will beam a recording of
their voices that will be heard on the Mir and at Mission Control, outside
Moscow." Is SWATCH lying?
April 16: SWATCH has cancelled the Beatnik satellite project claiming that
"their satellite batteries" were donated to Mir to resolve a problem on Mir.
Their web site has been revised to explain the project cancellation.
April 15: Hams Jam Space Spam says the BBC News headline
April 5: The Original Story, By Rob Carlson, KC2AEI
April 14: FDS Graphics' "Say No to Swatch" Animated graphic
April 14: The Sunday-Times (U.K.) gives negative press to Swatch (Sorry, the
Sunday Times does not allow links to articles)
April 13: Swiss Federal Office of Communications
April 12: Beatnik UPDATE - its a go, says SWATCH
April 11: MSNBC Covers the story
April 8: Beatnik Version 1 and 2, Opinion, By Ed Mitchell, KF7VY
April 8: ARRL Asks SWATCH To Cancel Beatnik Project
April 6: Wired News story-Spam That's Out of this World
On-going: Rob's up-to-date SWATCH Issues web site.
April 5: Troubling legal issues & Introduction to Amateur Radio.