Re: Another view

At 09:46 PM 12/27/2000 , you wrote:
> > I think it would be easier to do the satellite-satellite relaying on
> > the ground. Iridium's direct satellite-to-satellite relaying is
> > directly responsible for the high cost and complexity of those
> > satellites relative to Globalstar.
> >
>I agree. A network of ground-based relay stations can provide the
>intersatellite links. If a 2000 km orbit is used the number of relay
>stations required to acheive world-wide coverage can be fairly small.
> >
> > >digital, but a channel or two of NBFM access would provide backwards
> > >compatibility so that no one is left out of phase 4. Right now we have
>two
> > >classes of satellite users -- those on FM LEOs because of low cost and
>those
> > >on AO-10 who want to work DX. Almost all of the AO-10 users have
> > >transceivers that support FM so this would allow universal access.
> >
> > If we can produce an inexpensive digital ground station, and I think
> > we can, then I'd rather save the money and complexity that analog
> > backward compatability on the satellite would require.
> >
>I'm sure that a digital transceiver can be built as cheaply as existing dual
>band FM transceivers. However, it is important to have an existing base of
>users to communicate with during the first few years that the satellites
>would be in orbit.

Technically it could be done ... BUT would it would not offer any legal
QSOs for any awards. Why not just use your cellphone to call a DX ham for a
QSO. It is essentially the same thing. Whereas if the contact went from the
ham station to a satellite then to another satellite down to the DX ham
that is a direct over the air contact [via a series of space based repeaters].

W4SCO