Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:02:16PM -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
> That is true.  But at the same time it creates a potential mess.  What
> happens if we get this thing built and two of the involved parties go to
> war?  It kind of reminds me of the possible scenario that took place in the
> movie 2010.

Good question. Hopefully the ISS might help to avoid a war between
Russia and the USA. It seems very unlikely these days (although
that could change within 10 years).

> Necessity is the mother of invention.  We've not needed such a craft.  The
> Russians did.

Without the Russians, resupply of the ISS would be costing a bunch more
then. I wonder how much a Progress flight costs (given that the vehicle
is not reusable) compared to a shuttle mission? So I think this is a big
positive for Russian involvement -- resupply missions will always be needed.

Unfortunately, Australia is not involved at all, which is pretty poor.

Hamish