Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions

on 12/27/00 6:28 PM, Hamish Moffatt at hamish@cloud.net.au wrote:

> Maybe, but you can't be sure of that. No doubt there are some politics
> involved too. Peace is not a bad goal, though.

That is true.  But at the same time it creates a potential mess.  What
happens if we get this thing built and two of the involved parties go to
war?  It kind of reminds me of the possible scenario that took place in the
movie 2010.

I'd hate to have our astronauts or any other country's become pawns in an
international chess game like Carter did with the Olympic athletes.  But
that's what would happen.

>> I don't mean to insult any Russian friends who may be on the BB.  Far from
>> that.  I think it is amazing how much they have done with nothing, but it is
>> not first rate Western technology either.
>
> I notice that all of the unmanned resupply ships going to ISS are Russian
> Progress vehicles. Where is the USA's equivalent, and why isn't it being used?

Good point.  It's called the shuttle!  The US space program has been so
tunnel visioned on the shuttle that such a craft has never been developed.
The Russians don't have a shuttle and so need something cheap that could
work on MIR (actually they did have a prototype of an amazingly similar
looking vehicle to our shuttle that flew one remote control flight).

Necessity is the mother of invention.  We've not needed such a craft.  The
Russians did.

73,

Jon
NA9D