Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions

>From: "Francisco Costa" <fcosta@mail.telepac.pt>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>, <kk5do@AMSAT.Org>
>CC: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions
>Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:16:07 -0000

I dont understand your reference to Skylab.  Skylab worked "really well".
It recovered from a launch problem (the port solar array went away) and then
worked quite fine.  The NASA "chief engineer" is repeating the party line
which is the Russians make a valued contribution etc etc.

If you want some datum point on how well their stuff works you might instead
review some of the "task orders" for Mir.  Although Ivan did some
interesting stuff there most of his time was spent "maintaining" the systems
of the vehicle.  In other words it would be like taking a submarine to sea
and simply maintaining the sub.  Now part of this can be blamed on no
contiunal replacement...Mir's batteries for instance are shot...but a great
deal of it can be blamed on bad design.

Now I am not a fan of ISS.  If you have purused Space News and other
technical publications you will recognize my name as someone who has been an
outspoken critic of "our" design.  But the fact remains (take a deep breath)
that right now the space station is one fan away from everyone coming home
because the Russian carbon dioxide scrubber which was supose to be brand new
has already gone through well 5 years worth of spares.

I dont know what your background is but I have spent sometime at JSC,
sometime doing "special" things for a military service in terms of
spaceflight (no I havent flown in space) and that includes some time at STar
City.  I've flown in "their" microgravity aircraft and done something most
Americans havent done...I jumped out of it when they were finished.

In the end Ivan's stuff is "unique" but space capable...not.

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX