Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Transmissions

on 12/27/00 1:54 PM, Robert Oler at cvn65vf94@msn.com wrote:

> The Russians
> act like they are somebody when in effect they are nobody in terms of the
> space station.  Their stuff is technological junk.  Its about like their
> fighter planes...they look the part and then you get to fight against them
> and fly them and you say "UHHHH kludge" but its the best that their
> technology can do.
>
> Some of their stuff is "entertaining" but in the end the only real marvel of
> it is that they did so much with so little.  Sorry I am not one of these
> folks who admires Russian technology.

Robert,

I've disagreed with you vehemently in the past few weeks on some issues, but
on this one, I must say I cannot agree more!  The Russian participation in
the ISS is, IMHO, a disaster.  Yes, they have experience, but to let them
build some of the most crucial parts of the station is just unthinkable.
Look at all the problems MIR has had.  You can't blame it on 20 year old
technology because it was continually upgraded.  Back in the cold war days
everyone feared the Russian military.  Yet every time American firepower and
weaponry has gone up against the Russian stuff, we've kicked their butts.
Look at how much everyone feared the T72 (was that it?) in Iraq.  Yet the US
tanks were targeting and taking out the Russian built ones before the
Russian built tanks could even SEE the US ones!

It is scary to think that at least for now, the major components of the
station are built on Russian technology.  I wish we would have stuck with
Ronald Reagan's plan for the space station: build it ourselves.  But to
undertake a project like this by ourselves and for ourselves would not have
been politically correct, would it?  Who cares about cost.  The Russians
have no money and we are basically footing the bill anyhow.  We could do it
better, faster, cheaper here.

I don't mean to insult any Russian friends who may be on the BB.  Far from
that.  I think it is amazing how much they have done with nothing, but it is
not first rate Western technology either.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden