Re: AO-40 Telemetry Archive Updated

on 12/27/00 12:00 PM, MCGWIER ROBERT at rwmcgwier@home.com wrote:

> The SEU is reading wacko and some of
> the Tx power currents are wacko.   The EPU
> and LIU read as ON as does the general
> beacon but the power reading and pressures
> do not read at all. The solar array deployment is
> read as ARMED.   These last may be nonsense
> numbers filling the frame since the decoders
> on the ground expect a fixed frame size but
> it is rather worrisome.

It would seem that some of these are nonsense.  The reason I say is that I
remember a discussion a couple weeks back where some folks were alarmed that
the X band TWT was showing itself to be really hot.  Stacey Mills replied
something to the effect that it was a meaningless number because the TWT was
not powered and none of those sensors calibrated or what not.

Could it be that some of these numbers are faulty because of the fact that
all of the proper routines or what not have not fully been run to turn
things on and so forth?

It is interesting to note that you stated the failures seem to be all over
the spacecraft.  This would seem to rule out some soft of collision or
explosion of sorts as you would expect all that to be concentrated in one
particular spot (at least that's how you would think it would be).  So
(again, idle speculation), would failure all over the craft be related to
some sort of solar event such as some people had wondered?  Could a blast of
solar radiation or protons or whatever have caused this soft of damage?

It will be interesting to see what the final conclusions are!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden