Re: Mode S downconverter

At 09:58 PM 12/26/2000 -0500, David Reinhart wrote:
>Down East Microwave is now accepting orders for a Mode S downconverter
>with a 144MHz. IF.  The gain figure is about 20dB and 1 dB noise
>figure.  Prototypes in a non-weather proof enclosure available now,
>weather proof production models after the first of the year.  Price for
>the production unit is $200.  Lots better price than the converters SSB
>Electronics is selling.  Performance figures seem acceptable to you
>folks?
>
>David Reinhart

I've been hunting around the web for such an animal as well.  The DEM unit
looks promising.  FWIW, I also ran across a Swedish company at:

http://www.parabolic.se/hamradio_amsat.shtml

HEMT input / mast mount / DC via coax

Data

Input: 2400-2404 MHz*
Output: 144-148 MHz
Noise figure: max 1,0 dB (typ 0,8dB)
Gain: 30 dB+/-3 dB
Image rejection: > 35 dB
Supply voltage: 11,5-15,5 VDC (300 mA)
Connectors: N-type, female
Size: 75x150 mm excl. the mast clamp
Mast clamp: 50 mm supplied (will accept up to 89 mm)

1820 SEK = $192 today

Shipping is supposed to be "at cost", but I don't know what that might be.

This one looks comparable with the DEM unit, but has a 10dB better
gain.  Is anyone here familiar with Parabolic?

--Mike, WQ5C