Re: Mode S downconverter

Yep, all that is correct!  Also, if you purchase the unit as a kit, it will
be about $150 I think.  Not bad for getting on to S-band.  Also, the SSB
unit is a lot more expensive, but more polished looking and perhaps is a
little better quality.  But not worth the price difference, for sure!

Who knows, what's going to happen.  It looks like we'll have a mode L-S bird
for sure and possibly a U-S bird as well.  Plus the other microwave bands
might still work as well as the HF receivers.  Sure hope we get the total UV
packages working though, but I'll be pleased with a working bird right now!

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 12/26/00 8:58 PM, David Reinhart at wa6ilt@BellAtlantic.net wrote:

> Down East Microwave is now accepting orders for a Mode S downconverter
> with a 144MHz. IF.  The gain figure is about 20dB and 1 dB noise
> figure.  Prototypes in a non-weather proof enclosure available now,
> weather proof production models after the first of the year.  Price for
> the production unit is $200.  Lots better price than the converters SSB
> Electronics is selling.  Performance figures seem acceptable to you
> folks?

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA