From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Peter Guelzow
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2000 6:50 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Santa Claus brought AO40 back!!!

Dear All,

we just got information from New Zealand and Australia, that AO-40
is back on Air!!

At 2000 12 25 21:45 Ian, ZL1AOX sent a RESET command through L-band
and an initialization block to switch the S2 S-Band transmitter On.

Just after the first attempt the S2 beacon came on 2401.305 MHz,
Signal was about S5 to 6 which was comparable to when S2 was
heard last during testing.

At 2000 12 26 00:30 signal strength has dropped to below S1 over a period of
30 minutes.

The beacon was confirmed by several other stations in Australia,
including Graham VK5AGR.

Assuming this is true, we have a long way to go, but it's sure a step in
the right direction!!!

The next thing is trying to upload IPS...

All previous attempts in the last 2 days to turn V-band On were
unsuccessful,
so we changed the strategy to try on S-Band..

Merry Christmas and Congratulations to Ian!!

73s Peter DB2OS