Re: Oscar-Zero anyone?

>From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

Ed.

there have been three attempts in my lifetime that I know about to put a
"something" amateur radio on the Moon.  The first was a rather serious
attempt (there was hardware) when I was a child by a group of guys who were
also TI/TRW engineers to fly something on Apollo 19  there was no Apollo 19
of course (its booster is sitting on its side near my house) but they were
making progress.  I (as a child) went to church with one of the guys (and he
got me interested in Ham radio) so I know that this was "going".  Indeed I
have some of the hardware here at the house.

It wouldnt have been "Much" it mostly would have redone Oscar IV's
transponder.  I've talked to some "old hands" at NASA and they claim (and
the person who I talked to is a name most would recognize) it was going to
fly.  Sigh.

Another shot was made during the Clementine mission.  OK not on the Moon but
it would have orbited the Moon until they crashed Clementine into the
surface.  Lunar orbits as you might know are not stable so when yourun out
of fuel you end mission (some exceptions to this are the LaGrange points now
that would be an "orbit"...to bad Goresat will likely die...I know some
folks trying to get one on Goresat...aka Triana).

I have heard but have no first hand knowledge of folks who are trying to
interest LunaCorp (through radio shack) in flying one on their private lunar
mission.  I dont think that this one will happen but its fun to think about.
  the biggest problem is path loss.  There are some other problems about
libration but those are not as severe as one thinks.

One day once we get a real president (dreadful partisanship here) in 04 and
can really change space policy I hope to have a pretty wide band transponder
at my home on the Moon (grin).

Robert Oler WB5MZO