Re: New AO-27?

Hello sco@sco-inc.com!

23 Dec 00 21:39, you wrote to Laura Jolley:

 s> If there is a problem with a few hams taking over the bird why not
 s> make it a closed/managed system? We can now use codes to allow access
 s> to ground based repeaters, why not do the same with a bird in space?
 s> Give each member of Amsat-NA a unique access code which opens the
 s> squelch on the sat's receiver. If no code or a black listed code
 s> [ground control denies access to any ham who abuses the system] is
 s> heard the bird does not respond.
 s>
 s> There are now many club owned repeaters on the ground. They are legal.
 s> Does access to a sat have to be "open" to all comers?  I do not know
 s> the legal answer to this. Or could it be open only to club members who
 s> paid for its building and launch?

Somehow, I don't think that's going to help.  It might bring out the
antisocials who might jam it, meaning no one uses it.  Also, there's legal
issues, and it's not really in the spirit of ham radio.

Here in VK, closed repeaters are not permitted (every repeater is open to all,
as long as their licence allows operation on _all_ frequencies the repeater
uses), and I hope never to see closed repeaters here.  Too much of a hornets
nest IMHO.

Tony, VK3JED

.. ve got to do with it