How does Reset sequence work?

Hearing Peter's recent message about Reset attempts has me wondering how it
works:

1. Does the Reset command get ACK'd? If so, what part of the system does
that? I thought command acks were done in IPS. From what I understand, IPS
is not being reloaded at this point.
2. What device interprets the Reset command? Some hardware modem built into
the system?

Rather than bog everybody down in another long message cycle, maybe somebody
knows a URL where this aspect of AO-40 is documented.

Best wishes to all for the Christmas season.

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI
Atlanta Area Coordinator