Re: Another view

At 06:41 PM 12/24/00 -0500, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>I disagree somewhat.  We can make complete UI digipeating LEO satellites
>in 4 inch cube satellites.

It's a long, long way in complexity (both system complexity and satellite
complexity) from a bunch of UI digipeaters with no stabilization, no
station-keeping, no cross links or separate gateway downlinks and uplinks,
and no significant ground-based infrastructure to a system similar to
Globalstar (which has and needs all of the above except cross-links) that
can support seamless voice communications world-wide.

>If we put them all on 145.825 and we give them all
>the same generic digipeater call, then with about 6 of them in orbit, no
>one anywhere will be more than a few minutes away from two-way packet
>communications... at any time, to anywhere on the planet.

If they spread out nicely. They won't stay that way, without propulsion.

I won't argue here about whether the UI-merged-by-internet system design is
a good one or not. I do think it would be cool, and I'd like to see it
happen. But it shouldn't be confused with a satellite communications
capability that BY ITSELF provides long-duration, multi-user, real-time,
voice communications.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org