Re: AO-40 Orbital Stability

on 12/24/00 6:17 PM, Stacey E. Mills, M.D. at w4sm@cstone.net wrote:

> I'll take a shot at this one.  The orbit is incredibly stable.  It's not
> the eccentricity per se that creates instability.  It's the combination of
> eccentricity and high inclination, along with RAAN and ArgP that has the
> potential for instability due to solar/lunar forces.  The current low
> inclination orbit is highly stable.

Stacey,

Thanks for the explanation.  That's good to know.  It was also a good quick
lesson in orbital mechanics!  :-)

Good luck to you and the rest of the command team.  This has got to be hard
and I am sure that you guys all would love to get that bird to reset and
come back in operation on Christmas day.  It would be a great Christmas
present.  But I, at least, would rather have you enjoy the day with your
family than trying to get AO-40 back on line.  We can do that on Tuesday!

Have a great Holiday!  Thank you again.

73,

Jon
NA9D