Re: Another view

>I didn't realize that you were thinking of a constellation of LEOs. I agree
>and this is very feasible with interconnected ground stations for relaying.

That's right. I see no limitations of LEOs that can't be overcome
with a) multiple satellites and b) relaying.

>The intersatellite links must be digital and user links should be mostly

I think it would be easier to do the satellite-satellite relaying on
the ground. Iridium's direct satellite-to-satellite relaying is
directly responsible for the high cost and complexity of those
satellites relative to Globalstar.

>digital, but a channel or two of NBFM access would provide backwards
>compatibility so that no one is left out of phase 4. Right now we have two
>classes of satellite users -- those on FM LEOs because of low cost and those
>on AO-10 who want to work DX. Almost all of the AO-10 users have
>transceivers that support FM so this would allow universal access.

If we can produce an inexpensive digital ground station, and I think
we can, then I'd rather save the money and complexity that analog
backward compatability on the satellite would require.

Phil