Re: Further analysis of the last telemetry from AO-40

on 12/24/00 12:51 PM, John P. Toscano at tosca005@tc.umn.edu wrote:

>>> that we are going to have a serious pucker factor
>>> in trying to use the motor again.
>>
>> What impact would it have on the design if it was
>> decided not to use the motor again?
>
> In simplest terms, it would mean that AO-40 would never achieve the
> orbit it was designed for.  Since there is a second motor (the
> ammonia arcjet), the command team could brainstorm a new, "next
> best available target orbit attainable with available resources"
> and try for that instead, if forced to do so.

One other question to be considered: Is the current orbit stable?  I know
next to nothing about orbital mechanics.  But AO-13 died a firey death
because of an orbital instability.  We wouldn't want the same thing to
happen to P3D.  But then again, it might be fine.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden