Re: Further analysis of the last telemetry from AO-40

Jeff Kelly (KT2K) wrote:

> >that we are going to have a serious pucker factor
> >in trying to use the motor again.
>
> What impact would it have on the design if it was
> decided not to use the motor again?

In simplest terms, it would mean that AO-40 would never achieve the
orbit it was designed for.  Since there is a second motor (the
ammonia arcjet), the command team could brainstorm a new, "next
best available target orbit attainable with available resources"
and try for that instead, if forced to do so.

73 to all on the list, especially our tireless controllers who
probably have something other than "visions of sugarplums dancing in
their heads".  I wish them great joy at this time of year, and always.

John Toscano, KB0ZEV