RE: As long as we're talking about software failures and spacecraft...

Laura,

As a matter of fact the company I work for shares a building with one of the
largest capacity insurers of commercial satellites, ... that company is
called ACE. It is based here in Bermuda, as are most of the world's largest
insurer's now. Insurance is Bermuda's largest industry, and satellites are
just one of may lines of business written. I know the head of satellite
underwriting at ACE personally, ... and from our discussions over a
cigarette in the parking lot, I can tell you that the premiums are well
outside of AMSAT's reach, ... I did look into this a while back.
Unfortunately the insurance company I work for (I'm in charge of systems
development), doesn't write satellite coverage we insure the petroleum
industry.

For more information about satellite insurance take a peek at ACE's web site
(I would stress that they are a direct competitor of the company I work for
in other business lines, so I have no vested interest in this!).

http://www.ace.bm

Look in the risk manager section, then products Bermuda!

For more info on petroleum insurance please see:

http://www.oil.bm
http://www.ocil.bm

That's who I work for <grin>! And do have a vested interest!

Cheers
Paul, VP9MU
AMSAT-BDA