Re: Awards reqirements

This is in reference to earlier comments that contacts that use of
interlinked satellites might be invalid for awards, and wouldn't that apply
to satellites in general since they constitue a "relay".  The answer is:
No.  They change the rules to fit.  I have a WAS OSCAR certificate hanging on
my wall.  My understanding is that the VHF Century Club doesn't care if you
get your 100 grid squares via satellite or terrestrial contacts.

Again, the biggest problem I see with using the Internet to link satellites
is a regulatory one.  You have to have a really good way of preventing
unauthorized persons from using the satellite.  On top of the usual command
and control problems you'd have to do something like set up a secure Web site
with authentication, maybe encryption (legal on the ground links), etc., and
administer all that.  Not a trivial task.  Just leaving a browser session
open while answering the door means that your child could sit down and send
something that he shouldn't.

I know some of this has been addressed by the SatGate people and if any of
them are reading this thread and have more information to offer I'm sure that
would be useful.